Friday, October 9, 2009

GCA: Criminal activity on 87th Street

An e-mail from the Greater Chatham Alliance:
I did a random survey of my neighbors (after the member got the 87th street alert yesterday).

Two neighbors have been burglarized in the 60th block of East 87th Street two weeks ago.

My house was hit on last Monday. They took an old laptop, DVDs - even Roots Collectors Edition & The Inauguration - and a class ring, so I guessed they would be young men or even teens.

Do you, or even the Security Chairman have any details regarding Illinois Law? What guns are legal to protect a home? Hand Gun? Shot Gun? Are there any specific laws regarding protecting one's home which may be of help in circulating? I began researching this past weekend - I guess my question boils down to when is it legal to shoot and do they have to be inside the property. The laws read vaguely. In short, can you blow someone away protecting your home.

While I did not grow up in Chatham, I began riding the 87th Street bus at 13 from my school to an internship downtown by way of the South Shore neighborhood. My Great Uncle and Aunt also owned on Wabash in the fifties and we spent Sunday dinners at their home well until they passed in the 1980's. Many of my friends also grew up in Chatham, so the decline of the stability is very disheartening.

I don't want to accuse a random vehicle, but recently I've seen a white pick-up truck around at different times. They may be totally innocent, but something just struck me, because they were driving slowly and I've seen them a few times. Something is sticking with me on this.
Decline of the stability? It brings back this post I wrote back in August about whether or not Chatham is a thriving residential community. It might open up another idea for an open blog post this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Not the Roots Collector edition! Certainly not teens. Has to be someone in their late 30s or 40s who even remembers that.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE READ FIRST!!!! Comment Moderating and Anonymous Comment Policy

While anonymous comments are not prohibited we do encourage you to help readers identify you so that other commenters may respond to you. Either read the moderating policy for how or leave an identifier (which could be a nickname for example) at the end of the comment.

Also note that this blog is NOT associated with any public or political officials including Alderman Roderick T. Sawyer!